Friday 30 March 2012

NHS Development

Initially, as you would expect, I began by simply drawing out a few different ideas in a few different ways. I instantly took a liking for the text being aligned on the left hand side so the N, M, P were stacked. I then simply tried putting friendly looking shapes to by the side of the text to see how it worked together.
Dev1Dev 2
Aside from the success of the text layout, I also felt quite positively with the curved wing like shape that I had made as it looked both friendly, and matched the clients wishes that the logo avoid going down the photography/camera route. Despite this positivity, I felt I required more initial ideas to work with.
Dev 3
The next few ideas I had focused more of the photography style logo, while the client was not so keen on the idea, I felt that it may have been the best route to go down considering the name of the department. The top idea (my favourite) was simply using a segment of an aperture shape but in particular, I like the way it wrapped around the text, being inline with the text at the bottom and then spilling over at the top. Considering that the ideogram is not all inline with the text, I can not help but feel that the logo still works very well. The 2 logo ideas below it were based on the viewing screen that is found on digital cameras, initially I thought this idea had potential as the edges of the shape could be manipulated to meet the top and bottom of the text. The bottom left and bottom middle ideas were supposed to be the corner of the camera fading off at the top, with a strap being the main focus of the ideogram, however, as you can see, it was not the most successful idea.
From this then, I developed 2 ideas on the computer, one of which I made up while digitalising the other and so the idea is not featured in my initial development.
NHS Logos-Connor Roberts
The top idea came to me while creating the bottom idea on illustrator. The process was quite simple really. I simply created the initials using Arial Black, rotated the text box, created a new layer, and then created the 3D effect using the pen tool. After that it was a simply a matter on scaling it right, choosing a colour and getting it to work well with the text. Choosing the colour is what I found the hardest, I was very undecided and struggled to  find an appropriate tone. I began with it being a light grey, but when coupled with the grey text, it worked quite poorly. Eventually I settled that blue would be a suitable colour and that a lighter tone would give a friendlier appearance. Overall I would say that, although I am happy with the logo, it may not be the most suitable for this brief as it looks possibly a little too boring. My second logo however, I feel works much better. The text for instance matches my favoured layout that I decided upon in my initial ideas. I also developed the segmented aperture idea by having them overlap and then using blending options to make them appear transparent. I found that this gave a much better effect then having a space between them. Overall with the layout and the colours chosen I feel that this is easily the most superior of my 2 logo ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment