Tuesday 20 March 2012

Matt Gondek

Matt Gondek is a graphic designer that I have respected since I discovered his work way back in 2008. Since then, his work has evolved exponentially in terms of quality. While always involving great mixtures of bright colours, initially, his work began with very little texture and shading. Over time his work has developed to be more varied, as well as include much greater detail, whether that is in the tone he uses or in the finer textures of his work. Nowadays his work is much darker in comparison to his once bright and jolly pieces while continuing to improve in his use of finer details.
Matt Gondek is arguably one of my most inspirational artists. His work is the kind of style that I would love to be able to produce, would a brief allow it, I would like to design some of the weird creatures in the style of Matt Gondek, as of yet, I have not had the opportunity. Obviously I lack the ability at the moment to replicate it, but, I find the most appealing part of Matt Gondek's work has to be all the tiny details he includes, whether its all the wrinkles he puts around eyes each with a shadow or the slime that has correct tone applied everywhere. There are other artist that follow a similar vein to Matt Gondek in terms of style, some that are arguably much more skilled such as Dan Mumford, but it is Matt Gondek that has inspired my work for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment