Monday 18 March 2013

Self directed brief

Due to my preparation for my interview, I am a little late to start my new project. As part of the Portfolio Production module, we were told to pick projects that will help us develop our portfolios, so ideally, we would choose projects that help fill out our portfolio with work we have not focussed on much so far, or choose work that help to establish our preferred style of work.
I spent a lot of time trying to find a clothing based brief, ideally one that focussed on the designs for clothing, however, I could not find one. When researching portfolios, I found on several occasions that self directed briefs are more then welcome if it shows a greater range of skills.
I decided upon a brief where I was asked by TOPMAN to create a series of illustration based designs for shirts, hooides and vests. The idea being that these illustrations would bring about a more unique style of clothing thanks to the hand rendered look.
To begin this brief, I thought I would begin by created a brand for this capsule collection, so I researched into brands and the modern trends that are present in this area such as the use of negative space, traditional style logos, and logos that use shape.
After this I decided upon a name for my brand, creating a mind map to help me through the process. I began by thinking of words to do vaguely with Illustration, and tribes and their symbology came to mind, following this trail, I settled happily on the name HEX, a short snappy name which I think suits the ideas I have in mind quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment