Tuesday 24 April 2012

Targets 11!

Now that I had completed my research for this project, I could alter my previously uninformed ideas into something far more suitbale for this project. I then decided too, having realised my previous initial ideas were not entirely suitable, create some more initial ideas, using both, my new found inspiration aswell some of the developments on my previous ideas.
Scan 8Scan 9
After looking at Little White Lies magazine covers, as realising that most of the previous editions had only one portrait on the cover, two prominent ideas became apparent to me. The first of which is to simply have the character George Smiley on the front cover facing forward keeping in line with the modern editions of Little White Lies covers. Obviously, being the main spectical of the cover, the plan would be to make the illustration something special, for me, this would mean focussing heavily of the darks in the illustration as well as paying attention to detail and tone. So to create this idea, I would first all need to draw the portrait using one media I am more comfortable with, such as fine liner, biro or pencil. then scanning in the image and editing it on photoshop. As you can see, the text will be placed at the bottom of the page, being clearly visible while not getting in the way of the detailed portrait I plan to create.
The rest of my ideas play on my previous idea of having the four charcters that bare the names Tinker, Tailor, Solider and Spy on the cover. As I said, the previous Little White Lies magazine cover tend to have one character portrait on the cover, and so as I feel strongly about the four charcters idea, I felt the only way I could make this work would be to have all four characters split into quarters made to form the shape of one portrait. So my other three ideas are the most promising ways I could split up the four characters and form one portrait. These inclde, a broken glass idea, diagonal segments and horizontal segments. I feel this developent shows improvement on my behalf, not only showing that I can take influence from my research, but that I can only develop my own ideas based on new research. I feel the way I tackled the issue of my conflicting ideas (wanting one protrait and four characters) shows increased skill. Unfortunately, I am currently torn between these ideas so in the mean time I will solve other issues, therefore, my targets for this week are=
  • Create character sketches for the purpose of both, getting used to drawing the film character and discovering which media I am most skilled with so that I can eventually create the most detailed sketches that I can.
  • I will also sketch the most promising layout ideas on a larger scale, giving me a better idea of which ones I should take forward

No comments:

Post a Comment