Tuesday 9 October 2012

Packaging Brief-Research

After some debating, I eventually settled on designing the packaging for Phonica Records. I thought that designing packaging for what will mostly be flat, large shapes would be both interesting and challenging.
Beginning my research, I thought the best place to start would be looking further into Phonica as a company, looking at their website and the products they sell. Naturally, the bulk of their products reside in Vinyls and CD's but they also sell products such as headphones, speakers, album artwork etc.
Looking on the website surprised me, I found that, although they sell the vintage product of vinyls, the website was actually vert modern, clean and sleek, not quite what I was expecting. They appear to tried to bring this product into the 21st century, maintaining this look and feel is something I feel is worth maintaining.
I then moved on to looking at competitors in a similar market for further inspiration.
After that, I created a style sheet to show all the different elements of packaging I should consider when designing my ideas.
I thought about two companies that I regularly purchase from that both arrive with unique and interesting packaging. Made in Hell arrives in a clean black bubble-wrap covering, filled with the product and many peripherals such as badges. Colus comes in a white cardboard packing with their logo printed large on one side, the shirts of wrapped in black tissue paper, sealed with a sticker that reads the buyers name.
Lastly, I looked into examples of packaging, pointing out different features of interest that could influence my initial ideas process.



No comments:

Post a Comment